Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Assignment #7

Hopefully everyone had a wonderful Valentines Day. As I have mentioned before I love to cook, well I finally got a chance to cater a dinner. My skills were requested from my Mother-in-Law and her friends on Valentines Day at her friend’s house. I prepared a peppercorn filet with sautéed mushrooms drizzled in an alfredo sauce. I put prosciutto wrapped asparagus next to the fillet in the shape of an X. I also prepared zucchini, mushrooms and onions , baked potatoes along with boursin butter (a garlic butter with cream cheese) and French bread.

Dinner went well and everyone complimented the food, and the fact that my wife had been my sous chef for the evening, had given me a sense of accomplishment. (my wife can’t cook so since no one ran to the bathroom I was okay to place a checkmark in the win column) So I packed up my belongings and headed out.

Our son was with us and we walked past a neighbor’s house. I watched as a man started walking out of the house. My wife was waiting for our son to get into the truck as this man got into an SUV parked in the driveway we just passed by. Within moments we heard a commotion from inside the SUV. I turned to look at the source of the noise. The man who only moments ago had climbed into the passenger side of the vehicle was beating the driver in the face with his fists. There was such force that the vehicle was shaking violently. The driver opened the door and partially fell out, his head and upper body were on the ground and the passenger was now atop of him just repeatedly punching him in the face. The driver was crying out for help. My wife was only a couple of feet away and by this point my son was fully inside the vehicle. My wife closed the door of the truck and then she proceeded to yell at the aggressor to stop. I was positioned on the other side of my truck and I contemplated rushing over to get involved to separate the two guys. Part of me wanted to get in the truck and drive away and not get involved in any fashion. I had no idea who these guys were and I decided the best course of action was to call 911.

I was concerned that his attention would turn to my wife or worse my son. I made sure the doors were locked on my truck and I was watching to make sure I would be in his path should he turn. I was on the phone with the dispatcher giving a blow by blow and a description of the guys and the vehicle while I waited on the officers to arrive. During there dispute my wife continued to yell at the aggressor and told him that the police were on the way. He informed her that he did not care that this was his older brother and he needed this. Once the police arrived he surrendered and was arrested for assault.

While I was driving home afterwards I started to ponder… Was it unethical to not attempt to separate the two men in order to assist the man who was begging for help?

I welcome any comments from people who would like to weigh in on this issue.


1 comment:

  1. I believe that you did the right thing by calling the police. If you were to become involved by trying to break the two up you could have been stuck in the middle of a fist fight or worse. You don't know whether or not the aggressor had possession of a gun and he could have turned his attention on your family. There is only so much you can do in this predicament.

    ReplyDelete