Saturday, January 10, 2009

Blog Assignment #1

1. How would you have explained the meaning of the term "ethics", before taking this class?

I have always believed that ethics and morals are the same; a set of values or rules that someone uses to guide them though everyday life. These rules give us the ability to look at ourselves in the mirror and not be ashamed of the person looking back at us.

2. What are some of your deepest held values?

Honesty and character are very important to me. I have been involved in numerous situations with different companies that I have worked for where an employee has had to be arrested for embezzlement. In almost all of those I have had a hand in gathering the evidence to prove they were stealing for the company. I believe that it is my responsibility to the companies I work for to protect them against situations like this. Also, I am not sure whether or not this is a value or not but I try not to be judgmental towards other people.

3. What are some main principles you try to live your life by?

Growing up I would always push the envelope and I would suffer the consequences. I had a good idea of what the consequences prior to embarking on my journey over to the dark side. That way if I did get caught I knew what to expect and if the price was too steep then I would resist the journey. So basically one of my deepest values is just to have enough fun to stay out of jail.

4. What moral qualities do you look for in others?

I tend to be someone who can rub people the wrong way. I have a very sarcastic and crude sense of humor and this tends to offend people. I have tried to change this behavior but I always feel that I am trying to hide who I am to please other people so they can associate with me. So, I have stopped trying to correct myself and associate with people that like me for who I am and not who I pretend to be. Maybe somewhere in my subconscious I may have a set of morals that I seek in other people but I cannot say directly.

5. How were your values and principles developed?

I owe a lot of who I am to my parents and grandparents. I would go and stay with my dads parents for weeks at a time. During these visits I was my grandfather’s shadow. So in some form I believe that the man I am today is a direct reflection of him. My father was a little preoccupied with work but when he was around he really did a good job of teaching me the ropes of life.


6. How have your values and principles changed throughout your life so far?

As mentioned before, I tend to rebel and get into some trouble. However now that I am a father I find there are times where I have out of body experiences where I am watching myself interact and guide my son. During these experiences I wonder who that man with my son is. He seems to know exactly what to say and how to act to guide my son in the right direction.

7. Out of 25 points, how many points do you feel your work on this assignment deserves? Justify your answer.

23 with the exception of question 2 I feel I meet the objectives of the question.

1 comment:

  1. good blog !!!
    how r u my friend
    peace lover from Indonesia
    good future for friendship all over the world

    ReplyDelete